IRD Foilmore-Kells presents Walk of the Ancestors – a celebration of local History, Archaeology, Folklore and Tradition in Kells, County Kerry, Ireland.
==== 2023 ====
Walk of the ancestors returns with a historical lecture series on 21st August 2023 at Caitins Pub, Kells.
Frank Golden talks to Jerry O Sullivan about the lecture series on Radio Kerry Radio Kerry Podcast
Joe McGill, Radio Kerry did a feature on the lecture series, and replayed a great re-enactment of John Golden’s trial 1867. (Starts at 57min in). Radio Kerry – Joe McGill
==== 2017 ====
* Anne Golden Wrote an Article in July/August 2017 edition of The Irish Scene. See Page 75 Here
* May 27th 2017 – Radio Kerry – Frank Lewis Saturday Supplement Programme featuring great histories and stories from Kells, Foilmore and Cahersiveen, The Fenians and The John Golden story here
* Order the Walk of the Ancestors DVD here.
Limited edition special 2-DVD set with highlights from the weekend.
Secure ordering – postage worldwide.
* Cait Coffey speaks on Raidió na Life here. Cáit Uí Chofaigh ag labhairt ar Raidió na Life anseo.
* See the John Golden Monument here
* Winning Poem and Essay from Primary School Students here.
* April 16th 2017 Radio Kerry Kerrywide Programme featuring the John Golden story here.
We welcome you to join with us in Kells as we look back on the lives of those who have gone before us. Our past shapes our future.
See what we can learn when we follow the Walk of the Ancestors.
The theme for Walk of the Ancestors 2017 is the The Fenian Story in Kells and South Kerry. 2017 marks the 150th anniversary of the 1867 Fenian Rising. One of the most notable events that took place was the successful taking of Kells Coastguard Station. A prominent member of that rising was local man, John Golden from Kells. He was subsequently convicted of Treason and transported to Australia. He was eventually pardoned, settled in New South Wales and raised a family. Learn about the history here.
Latest from Walk of The Ancestors Facebook Page: